Sunday, January 30, 2011

What does Santa do in January?

Aside from celebrating my and Jae's birthdays early in the month, January is a real downer for this Professional Santa. 

First of all I almost always get sick right after Christmas and this year it took me most of my vacation to recover. Next, after being in big demand during November and December nobody really wants to see Santa in January. Add to that, it's back to business as usual on the school bus and this year the whole month was miserably cold.

By this time I'm sure you're wondering if I want some cheese with that "whine"? Not really meaning to complain but it is tough going from full speed to dead stop all at once. The two things that really help are a loving understanding partner and an opportunity to hang out with other Professional Santas. Yesterday Liz and I had lunch with 15 other Santas and their invited guests. A total of 29 people were in attendance. 

We ate BBQ, shared stories and generally just hung out with each other. This group, the Long Leaf Pine Santa's, were formed by me and Santa Cliff Snider early in 2007. 

Professional Santa Clauses work alone during the Christmas Season because, as everyone knows, there is only one Santa. I have always considered Santa a regional franchise with a great amount of latitude as long as you observe the basic rules. (Jolly demeanor, no drinking on or before the job, red suit with fur trim, real beard, real boots, leather belt, you get the idea.) With that being said the most important thing about portraying Santa is knowing everything you possibly can about your character and Christmas. As smart and well trained as I like to think I am, I do not know everything. I can always learn from my Brothers in Red.

Here is a photo from yesterday's event. Would you really trust your kids on one of these laps. Sure you would. By the way, that's me in red. The one with the white beard.

So now you know the answer to a question that you probably never asked. What does Santa do in January? Eat of course! After all we have to stay in shape and round is a shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment