Friday, January 7, 2011

Wrapping up Christmas

Yesterday was January 6th which is the Twelfth Day of Christmas or Epiphany on the Christian calendar. The day the Magi arrived with gifts for the baby. So it really is time to wrap Christmas 2010 up and release the Ghost of Christmas Present for another year. 

To say this was my best year as Santa is an understatement. That statement could easily be supported by the increase in appearances from 2009 to 2010 or from the increase in revenue but the real yardstick I use is simply this: "Did I enjoy myself in my role as the embodiment of St. Nicholas?" The answer has to be a resounding YES!

In the Professional Santa World, especially in times of stress and disagreement, the constant refrain is that we should only do this "For the children." I will readily admit that even though children are the primary beneficiary to what I do, I do this for myself. I can't remember who said it but this has always stuck with me. "The greatest job you can possibly have is one that you get paid for, that you would gladly do for free." That's the way I feel about the work I do as Santa. When a child, or an adult for that matter, lights up when they see me it makes this job worthwhile indeed.

Growing up a chubby kid with glasses has certainly colored the way I see things when I enter a room as Santa. Bullied by boys, snubbed by girls and teased by both because of my appearance makes it bitter sweet that I now get paid for my appearance. 

With all that aside, what are the moments that stand out in my mind about Christmas 2010? Here's my list, in no particular order and yes, I've checked it twice. 
  • Delivering a puppy to a rough and gruff grandpa that insists he didn't want a dog all the time tears are streaming down his face.
  • Riding Shalina's kids around the block in the PT Sleigh with the top down in the bitter cold.
  • Snow at the Greensboro Christmas Parade, warm weather at the Thomasville Parade and all the Cars at the Lilesville Parade.
  • Being pushed around the ice at the Greensboro Coliseum by the Summitt Ice Skating Club in a real sleigh. 
  • Hanging out with Orleans backstage at the LJVM Coliseum.
  • Sitting in the anchor chair on The Good Morning Show Christmas Eve Morning.
  • Appearing as Sinterklaas for a family of Dutch Heritage.
  • Seeing the light balls in Sunset Hills with Liz and Jason in the cold. Again with the top down. 
  • Having co-workers and friends say "Hey didn't I see you on TV?"
and finally
  • Greeting brand new life at Women's Hospital on Christmas Eve. 
The annual gig at Women's Hospital is my gift to Liz and to Greensboro. All parents that want, get a photo of Santa with their newborn. 
It helps remind me that as the world celebrates the birth of a Holy Child, the birth of any child is Holy.

Happy New Year! 
Santa Jac

2 comments:

  1. The sleigh ride was a highlight of not only the kids, but my grandmother getting to see them do it! Truly priceless. Thanks again for making the kids feel so special and keeping the magic alive in our home.

    ReplyDelete